Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gibsons




View from the hotel

Months ago I forwarded information about the Gibsons Landing Fibre Festival to a coworker. She thought it sounded like a great idea and we decided to make a trip of it. This was the first true fibre fest I’d been too and it was great. I took two workshops: 2 socks at once and Moebius Knitting. The sock class was a lot of fun. New local Rav friend Yarn Piggy was also in attendance so there was a lot of chatting and promoting of Ravelry going on. I would have preferred that the class have more demos instead of one on one instruction. I found that I was often waiting for the instructor to finish helping someone else. One method that might work would be to use step outs to demonstrate each step at the start of the class and then provide individual help as required. It is an interesting technique though. I don’t know how much I’ll use it though because I like socks for portable knitting and I haven’t found a good way to keep the two balls of yarn from getting disorganized and tangled.



The Moebius class was fabulous. I really enjoyed it. Venessa Bentley is an excellent teacher and Cat Bordhi’s techniques are of course incredible. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, partly because my cable was a tad on the short side. Serendipitously, I found a 47” knitpicks cable in the merchant mall so the afternoon went much better. It really is incredible how it works.

I spent break times on Thursday visiting the Merchant Mall. I always enjoy the opportunity to fondle yarns that I don’t normally get to see in person. Imagine my delight when I came upon Malabrigo sock yarn. I picked up one skein right away and ended up buying two more (I couldn’t resist). It is so soft and lovely and the colours are to die for. I also bought Merlot Sport sock yarn and Chiraz Fingering Sock Yarn from Unwind Yarns (Khetala on etsy), a skein of bamboo lace yarn, a large skein of silvery tencel lace weight, a skein of Twist of Fate sock yarn, assorted spinning fibre from Twist of Fate and a sample bag of spinning fibre from Homespun Haven. All in all it was a great trip.












1 comment:

yarnpiggy said...

Love the yarn pron on the bed. :-)