Thursday, August 7, 2008

Back from the abyss (aka school)

To say it’s been a busy few weeks in my world would be a gross understatement. It would be more accurate to say it has been manic. This morning I wrote what I hope was my last final ever. I hope I hope. Finally (as my mother loves to say). It has been a bit trying, attempting to juggle career and full time school and a new relationship (yea, my timing on that one was brilliant). There have been more than a few moments when I have doubted my ability to accomplish everything that needs accomplishing.

Naturally that means there’s been a dearth of knitting. I’ve managed a few rows here and there on Hanami so that I am now about a third of the way through Chart D. I stopped trying to work on Hanami though when it because apparent that I was actually knitting about 3-4 rows for every row of actual progress. Instead I’m working on a couple of koolhaas’s out of Malabrigo. I’m figuring out how to cable without a cable needle which is also good Olympic training.

Yea, since the Olympics conveniently start the day after finals are over, I’ve decided to compete in the Ravelympics for Team Canada. I am competing in the Sweater Sprint and will be making a Central Park Hoodie. The cabling without a cable needle practice will hopefully speed things up. I’m knitting it out of some blue Cascade 220 that I bought a few months ago. And now I am itching to start.

Something came home to live with me last night. A Louet S15 spinning wheel, purchased from a fellow local Raveler. I am calling this my graduation present to myself. I haven’t had time to really sit down and get to know the ins and outs of her yet but I managed to spin something that resembles yarn. I can’t wait to have more time to really practice. I think I might take a class at Birkland bros in September, now that my evenings aren’t so occupied with school.

Pictures to be added later since I am not at home. I wanted to get this up before the Olympics start. I have swatched, gotten gauge and am ready to start.

No comments: